Valley of Fire: Colors of the Southwest
Feb 26-March 1 (2018)
Location: Valley of Fire State Park
Dates: Feb 26-Mar 1 (2018)
Group Size: Max. 6
Instructors: Dusty Doddridge
The Valley of Fire provides an endless variety of colors and sandstone textures to explore. We'll photograph hidden arches, colorful sweeping sandstone colors, slot canyons, and even petroglyphs. We'll place a heavy emphasis on composition and expanding your creativity with instruction in the field and image review sessions.
All of our instructional workshops will cover two key areas: Craft and Creativity
Professional Craft for Landscape Photography:
• Getting fluent with your gear and developing a consistent workflow in the field
• Achieving an optimal exposure
• Managing depth of field
• Capture for multiple exposure blending
• Capture for panoramic stitching
• Using filters effectively
Creativity in the Landscape:
• Core compositional elements in the landscape
• Creative use of depth of field
• Long exposure techniques
• Learning and practicing new compositions
And we'll also do at least one image review session and share some advanced digital darkroom workflow techniques.
• Instruction in the field: craft and creative strategies for landscape photography
• Image reviews
• Instruction on digital darkroom workflow
• Food and Lodging
• Transportation to and from the workshop
• Participants can carpool
You'll need a moderate level of fitness to tackle some of the hiking and challenging weather conditions of the region. None of our hikes will go beyond 5 miles but you'll need moderate fitness and experience hiking in difficult terrain to manage this tour safely.
• Digital SLR Camera
• Tripod with Cable Release
• Wide Angle Lens and Telephoto Zoom Lens (We use the 16-35mm and 70-200)
• Filters: Circular Polarizer
• Lots of Memory Cards
• Extra Camera Batteries
• Micro-fiber Cloths
• Camera Bag/Backpack for Gear and Food/Water
Clothing for a variety of weather conditions from 25F to 70F
• Rain Jacket and Pants
• Down Layer
• Trail Shoes or Hiking Boots
• Gloves and Hat
• Plenty of Wool Socks
• Moisture Wicking Base Layer
Our base of operations will be in Overton, Nevada. We'll provide details for lodging options.
90 days or prior to day 1 of tour = Refund of all registration fees and deposits
60-89 days prior to day 1 of tour = Dusty Doddridge Photography will retain tour deposit
59 days or less prior to day 1 of tour = Dusty Doddridge Photography will retain full tour tuition
Dusty Doddridge Photography strongly recommends that you purchase trip insurance if you need to cancel your tour and are unable to complete the tour for any reason. Dusty Doddridge Photography also reserves the right to cancel the photo tour for any reason including low enrollment in the tour.
All you need to do is click the Register Here link below and tell us which tour you'd like to attend. We'll e-mail you an invoice that allows you to pay online by credit card. If it's 60 days or less prior to the start of the tour, the full tuition amount will be due in order to complete your registration. Prior to 60 days out, we'll invoice you for a deposit of 30% of the total tuition to hold your spot. We'll then invoice you again for the balance prior to the 60 day point when the full amount is due.