Zion: Southwest Photo Adventure
Nov 6- Nov 11 (2017)
Location: Zion: Southwest Photo Adventure
Dates: Nov 6-Nov 11 (2017)
Group Size: Max. 6
Instructors: Dusty Doddridge and Josh Merrill
Zion National Park has a dramatic but quiet beauty all its own. Zion offers an amazing variety of subjects to photograph this time of year from the grand scenics of the Watchman and Court of the Patriarchs to the more intimate scenes along the Virgin River. You'll be able to photograph the colorful cottonwoods and maples set against the sheer canyon walls rising high above the valley. The highlight in Zion will be an hike deep into the Narrows of the Virgin River capturing fall colors and amazing, glowing light cascading down the steep and narrow canyon walls.
From Zion, we'll experience a unique opportunity for backcountry photography in White Pocket as we explore some of the wildest sandstone formations on earth. Camping required as we'll photograph sunset, the night sky and sunrise. After White Pocket, we'll head down to Page, Arizona for some world class slot canyon photography and head out to some compelling but lesser known locations for sunset photography.
This will be one world class location after another and the photography will be intense! If you're ready for a photographic adventure, this is the one...!
All of our instructional workshops will cover two key areas: Craft and Creativity
Professional Craft for Landscape Photography:
• Getting fluent with your gear and developing a consistent workflow in the field
• Achieving an optimal exposure
• Managing depth of field
• Capture for multiple exposure blending
• Capture for panoramic stitching
• Using filters effectively
Creativity in the Landscape:
• Core compositional elements in the landscape
• Creative use of depth of field
• Long exposure techniques
• Learning and practicing new compositions
And we'll also do at least one image review session and share some advanced digital darkroom workflow techniques.
• Instruction in the field: craft and creative strategies for landscape photography
• Image reviews
• Instruction on digital darkroom workflow
• Transportation cost to White Pocket
• Cost for 1 slot canyon entrance fee
• Food and Lodging
• Transportation to and from the workshop
• Participants carpool during the workshop
• Narrows gear rental (We'll connect you with a local gear outfitter for all that you need!)
• Second slot canyon entrance fee
• Park entrance fees
You'll need a high level of fitness to tackle some of the hiking in Zion. None of our hikes will go beyond 5 miles but you'll need high fitness and experience hiking in difficult terrain to manage this tour safely.
• Digital SLR Camera
• Tripod with Cable Release and L Bracket
• Wide Angle Lens and Telephoto Zoom Lens (We use the 16-35mm and 70-200)
• Filters: Circular Polarizer
• Lots of Memory Cards
• Extra Camera Batteries
• Micro-fiber Cloths
• Camera Bag/Backpack for Gear and Food/Water
Clothing for a variety of weather conditions from 25F to 70F
• Rain Jacket and Pants
• Down Layer
• Trail Shoes or Hiking Boots
• Gloves and Hat
• Plenty of Wool Socks
• Moisture Wicking Base Layer
• Narrows gear (canyoneering shoes, neoprene socks, dry pants, hiking staff)
Our first base of operations will be in Springdale, Utah at the entrance to Zion National Park and from there we'll move on to stay overnight at Bryce Canyon. Our last stop will be in Page, Arizona. We'll e-mail you a detailed itinerary so you can make your hotel reservations.
90 days or prior to day 1 of tour = Refund of all Dusty Doddridge Photography fees and deposits
60-89 days prior to day 1 of tour = Dusty Doddridge Photography will retain tour deposit
59 days or less prior to day 1 of tour =Dusty Doddridge Photography will retain full tour tuition
It is strongly recommended that you purchase trip insurance if you need to cancel your tour and are unable to complete the tour for any reason. Dusty Doddridge Photography also reserves the right to cancel the photo tour for any reason including low enrollment in the tour.
All you need to do is click the Register Here link below and tell us which tour you'd like to attend. We'll e-mail you an invoice that allows you to pay online by credit card. If it's 60 days or less prior to the start of the tour, the full tuition amount will be due in order to complete your registration. Prior to 60 days out, we'll invoice you for a deposit of 30% of the total tuition to hold your spot. We'll then invoice you again for the balance prior to the 60 day point when the full amount is due.